Covid-19 & Funerals
Registrar’s Directive: New temporary rules for funeral services
4 Jan 2022
Here are the main points of the directive:
- keep in mind, the latest directive is to protect funeral home staff from getting sick and potentially having to shut down funeral homes:
- When funeral arrangements are being done - 2 family members in attendance only, virtual or by phone is an option
- 50 % capacity of a room for visitations and funerals
- Outdoor funerals can have as can safely physically distance.
When visiting the funeral home:
Before arriving at the funeral home - Appointments required
Please call (519-284-2820), text (519-520-0478) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
We request that you contact the funeral home in advance of any visit, including making funeral arrangements, attending a visitation or funeral, or for dropping off memorial donations.
Please do not come to the funeral home or attend funeral gatherings if you are feeling unwell or have traveled outside of Canada in the past 14 days and/or had close contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19.
Everyone must wear a mask indoors as mandated by the Huron-Perth Health Unit on July 13, 2020
(complimentary masks are available inside the entrance doors)
People exempt from wearing a mask when entering an indoor public space:
- Children under the age of 2 or children who do not understand the need to wear a mask.
- Anyone with a medical issue or religious reason that makes wearing a mask difficult.
Please also wear masks at outdoor funeral gatherings.
Please use the hand sanitizer located inside the entrance door at the funeral home once you have entered the building.
Regardless if people are gathering indoors or outdoors, people must do their best to maintain 2 metres (6 feet) from each other (except people from the same household).
We would prefer memorial donations be made over the phone (calling 519-284-2820) or online. Since the start of the pandemic, the Hodges Funeral Home has covered the fee from the credit card machines for donations taken over the phone. As of Feb 15, 2021, the Hodges Funeral Home will now cover the online fee for donations made through the funeral home website. This is another funeral home first for Ontario. Click here for a full explanation of how the Hodges Funeral Home handles memorial donations.
When you call the funeral home to inform us of the death of a loved one, we will ask for your phone number and email address. The information needed can also be submitted through this website, click here.
- We can meet in person at the funeral home with 2 people at one time
- Arrangements can be made over the phone and with email
Visitations at the funeral home:
Visitations can be scheduled to ensure 50% capacity of the room. Click here to see how the Hodges Funeral Home is scheduling visitations. Please note: we do have the option of using Zoom for up to 10 people at a time to virtually attend visitations and to interact with those in the building.
For both indoor and outdoor funerals, the Hodges Funeral Home is able to video the service at no added cost.
- Options: Facebook Live or taking a video to later create a public or private Youtube Link.
For funeral gatherings that involve food and drink,
Suspended at this time.